Over this two day workshop, you will be canoeing on Lane Cover River and around Cockatoo Island on Sydney Harbour. Over the weekend, we will:
- Learn and practice paddling strokes, towing with quick release hitches, deep water rescues and drag in rescues
- Discuss risks you might encounter on both the Habour and in rivers, preparing for an acitivity including what scout paperwork is required and navigation markers.
All these skills contribute towards your OAS stages in canoeing. Don't forget to bring your up to date logbook.
During the activity, you will get wet. You will need to wear/bring:
- any medication you require
- morning tea
- water bottle
- sunsafe clothing (long sleeves recommended)
- wear fully enclosed shoes that will get wet (no crocs, thongs etc)
- dry clothes to travel home in
- The Water Activities Centre will provide you with a PFD to wear on the day and a sausage sizzle and can of soft drink for lunch both days.
- Activities are subject to suitable weather conditions. If for any reason the event is cancelled, you will be able to rebook or obtain a refund. If you are unable to attend after registering, you will not be entitled to a refund.
If you would like to become a Trained Participant in Canoeing on up to grade 1 rivers, you will need to have:
- Paddle a canoe on moving water up to Grade 1 rivers SISOCNE003
- Trained Participant Core Program
- Perform basic water rescues (you must be able to swim unaided to achieve this)
- Navigate in tracked environments
- You will also need a current first aid certificate which will need to be obtained outside this activity and emailed to email@example.com
If this is something you would like to achieve, please email me with a cc to your leader (for 2 deep leadership). Tell me if you already have any of the above units so I can advise what else you need to do to achieve Trained Participant.